(Back to “A Message to the Churches – Main Page)
JESUS RESPONDS – continued in detail
Let’s assume the year is 2020, and paraphrasing, drawn on the 23rd chapter of the Book of Mathew:
“Jesus speaks to the crowds and to His disciples, saying: “These Preachers, Priests, Rabbis, and hypocrites have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; therefore all that they tell you and do and observe, they themselves do not do themselves.
- They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders,
- but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger.
- But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men;
- Some wear clothing to be noticed by others, wearing the latest fads, sporting tattoos and tight fitting garments.
- Others dress to ‘fit into the crowds they can attract, the people who think like them and want to be satisfied with a good performance.
- These Preachers, Priests and Rabbis, love the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in their churches, and respectful greetings the get in the market places, and being called Teacher, Preacher, Father or Rabbi by men.
- But Jesus said do not be called Teacher, a great one, or my honorable sir
- Do not be called Rabbi, a title used by the Jews to address their teachers; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers.
- Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.
- Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ. But the greatest among you shall be your servant. Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
- For you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.
- Woe to you,Preachers, Priests and Rabbis, you hypocrites, because you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense you make long prayers; therefore you will receive greater condemnation.
- Woe to you Preachers, Priests and Rabbis, you hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.
- “Woe to you, blind religious teachers, who say, ‘Whoever swears by their word is nothing; but whoever swears by signing a commitment card is obligated.’
- You fools and blind men! Which is more important, your word or committing to give an offering by signing a letter or a card?
- And, ‘Whoever says he will do a thing, that is nothing, but whoever swears by signing a commitment card to be saved or to make an offering, he is obligated.’
- You blind men, which is more important, the offering, or the Word of a Man that sanctifies the offering?
- Therefore, whoever swears by the his own word, swears both by the his honor and by everything on it. And whoever swears by the Bible, swears both by the Bible and by Him who wrote it.
- And whoever swears by heaven, swears both by the throne of God and by Him who sits upon it.
- “Woe to you,Preachers, Priests and Rabbis, you hypocrites! For you have our personal and petty rules, in other words “you tithe mint and dill and cummin”, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law, such as honesty, justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others.
- You blind Preachers, Priests and Rabbis, you hypocrites, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
- “Woe to you, Preachers, Priests and Rabbis, you hypocrites! For you act so holy, in other words, “you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish”, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence.
- You blind Preachers, Priests and Rabbis, you hypocrites, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also.
- “Woe to you, Preachers, Priests and Rabbis, you hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness.
- So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly
- “Woe to you, Preachers, Priests and Rabbis, you hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, and say, ‘If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in denying and ignoring the prophets, by which they were guilty as if they had murdered them.’
- So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who by ignoring the prophets, murder them. Fill up your conscience, then, to a full measure of the guilt of your fathers.
- You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?
- “Therefore, behold, I have sent you prophets and wise men and true men and women of God and some of them you will kill with lies and rumors and crucify them on your evil crosses, and some of them you will attack in their Churches, and persecute them unfairly from city to city.
- On you falls the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the spiritual temple consisting of the saints of all ages joined together by and in Christ and altar God used the whole burnt offerings which stood in the sanctuary or the Holy Place, The Cross on which Christ suffered and died. To eat of this altar which is to say “between the temple and the altar”.