“This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”
It is interesting that Jesus commands His disciples (Christians) to do the works that He has done and even greater works than these. We are to continue in His mission, using His methods and His ways. (John 14:12, Matthew 10:1).
- This is how we fight this Spiritual war.
- This is how we overcome by the word of our testimony and by the Blood of the Lamb.
- This is how we endure to the end.
Most of those chasing around after Jesus, during His earthly ministry, misunderstood what He was saying about His Works, and not much has changed to this day.
For example, a large crowd that had stayed on the far shore, saw that the disciples had taken the only boat, and they realized Jesus had not gone with them. Several boats from Tiberias landed near the place where the Lord had blessed the bread and the people had eaten. So, when the crowd saw that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they got into the boats and went across to Capernaum to look for him. They found him on the other side of the lake and asked, “Rabbi, when did you get here?”
“Jesus answered them and said, “Truly, truly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. “Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.”
“Therefore they said to Him, “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?” Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” John 6
It can be a bit confusing, but, take heart. Jesus told us that He has prepared His Works ahead of time so that we, His disciples, would walk in them. And, He promised us that He will be with us, in His authority, giving us direction and even giving us the words we should use. (Matthew 28:16-19, Luke 21:15, Luke 12:12)
He prepared the good Works; we just ‘walk in them’.
Many churches are teaching to do your own good works, in your own ways as if to say, “those were things they did THEN. But, these are the things we do NOW.
But, NO! Man’s ways are failing. They are failing to engage the enemy . Our enemies are evil, fear, doubt, hatred, vengeance, lust, poverty, war, disease, sickness and more.
Here are Jesus’ methods and ways, and here is exactly what He has told us to do:
- TESTIFY TO THE TRUTH. John 18:37
- BRING A SWORD, Matthew 10:34
- FULFILL THE LAW, Matthew 5:17
- CALL SINNERS TO REPENTANCE, Mark 2:17
- SAVE THIS WORLD, John 12:47
- CAST FIRE & BRING DIVISION UPON THE EARTH, Luke 12:49-51
- PREACH, SAYING, ‘THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS AT HAND’, Matthew 10:7
- HEAL THE SICK, Matthew 10:8
- RAISE THE DEAD, Matthew 10:8
- CLEANSE THE LEPERS, Matthew 10:8
- CAST OUT DEMONS, Matthew 10:8
- MAKE DISCIPLES, BAPTIZE THEM, TEACH THEM, Matthew 28:19-20
And, Jesus said, “And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Here is our methods and ways, just as Jesus has told us:
- Believe on the One whom He has sent.
- Jesus will give us the words to speak.
- The Bible is the Sword of God.
- Jesus has fulfilled the law on our behalf.
- We are made to be His witnesses.
- When we lift Jesus, people are drawn to Him. Jesus will heal the sick; raise the dead; cleanse the lepers; cast out demons.
Each of us must develop and have our personal plan and intention of making disciples, following Jesus’ model, in His Name. I pray you will work on yours today!
Again, let’s please remember, it is God Who does these Works through His disciples. We do not accomplish these Works on our own.
Your Brother and Friend,
PS: Do these “Works” of Jesus sound like the 2021 postmodern Church? It would seem that, many claiming His Name, are so far off His Message, His Methods and His Means, that one has to wonder what He will have to say upon His return?
(Will it be, “‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’; or, will it be “Well done, good and faithful servant. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’”)
Imagine with me, if you will, that the world could witness these works being performed on a global scale. Don’t you think it would change how the world thinks and behaves? It’s our job now, to be obedient and available for Him to do His Works through us, remembering, it is not us who does the Works; it is God Who does them.