(You can listen to this audio as you read along, and, you can pause the audio to follow links, then resume audio when you are ready.)
“The one who endures to the end, he will be saved” – Jesus, Matthew 24:13
Are you ever puzzled by some things Jesus says?
Jesus says again, in Matthew 10:22, “You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.”
I have recently had some lively discussions about the meaning and implications of what JESUS said when telling His disciples about His coming and the end of the world. (Matthew 24)
Jesus tells His disciples they will face many trials, challenges, persecutions and even martyrdom. Many Christians will suffer tribulation just before His return and the end of the age.
He warns us that “it is the one who ENDURES TO THE END, is he who will be saved”.
Jesus’ plain words should be enough. So, why the puzzle? Why the controversy?
I believe there is controversy because many people, including many of my friends and acquaintances, jump to these conclusions:
1. Many jump to the conclusion that Jesus is NOT saying “You can lose your salvation” (And this can make them very angry because this view does not fit their religious doctrine of “eternal security”) And, they are very adamant!
2. Many others jump to the conclusion that Jesus is saying that you CAN lose your salvation”. These folks say, “SEE, I TOLD YOU SO!!! (And this view makes them resolute because this DOES fit their religious doctrine.) And, they are very adamant!
3. While some jump to the conclusion that Jesus is saying it’s all about maturing in your faith, probably in an attempt to avoid controversy.
4. And yet, others say that they just don’t know what He means.
I have read many commentaries on these verses, and although these are studied opinions, most are a jumble of opinions based on denominational and religious doctrines.
Perhaps we are just asking the wrong questions?
Many theologians and bible teachers will hammer the pieces of this puzzle into place, to fit their religious doctrines, whether they fit or not.
These verses are very important to the believer. Ask yourself,
- Does one perish if he or she does not “endure to the end”?
- And, what is it we should ENDURE?
- What END is it that I am to endure to?
- What will I be SAVED to or from?
- Why does it matter?
Believe me when I say that Jesus was clear. He has more to say on this matter in His discourse, found in Chapter 24 of Matthew. He gives grave warnings about enduring and being ready for His Return and the End of the Age.
The most important thing about correctly understanding scriptures and the Words of Jesus, is this:
Romans 1:16-17, tells us that, “The gospel, is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH.”
- You cannot experience the power of God, and
- You cannot experience the righteousness of God, and
- You cannot LIVE BY FAITH
- If You do not possess and believe the entire Word of God.
Want to know more? This is important because it affects how YOU respond to Jesus’ command to BE READY for “His coming, and of the end of the age”.
If so, then let’s first get these verses in CONTEXT, and then we will look at the wording from the original language:
Matthew 24:3 says, “As He (Jesus) was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age”?
Verse 4. “And Jesus answered and said to them, “See to it that no one misleads you.
Verse 5 . “For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many.
Verse 6. “You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end.
Verse 7. “For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes.
Verse 8. “But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.
Verse 9. “Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name.
Verse 10. “At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.
Verse 11. “Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many.
Verse 12. “Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold.
Verse 13. “But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.”
“The one who endures to the end, he will be saved” refers to Jesus’ coming, and of the end of the age.
Now, let’s take a closer look at the words Jesus used to tech His disciples:
Endures: Strong’s concordance #5278, hupomeno, also from Strong’s concordance, #5259 and #3306 = endure, take patiently, tarry behind, abide, suffer 1.
1) to remain
1a) to tarry behind
2) to remain i.e. abide, not recede or flee
2a) to preserve: under misfortunes and trials to hold fast to one’s faith in Christ
2b) to endure, bear bravely and calmly: ill treatments
It is in the ‘aorist tense’ which is characterized by its emphasis on punctiliar action; that is, the concept of the verb is considered without regard for past, present, or future time.
IN OTHER WORDS: “The one who HAS ENDURED, IS ENDURING and CONTINUES ENDURING to the end, he will be saved” in relation to “the sign of Jesus’ coming, and of the end of the age”
End: Strong’s concordance #5056 = telos = to set out for a definite point or goal; the end, the uttermost, finally.
1a) termination, the limit at which a thing ceases to be (always of the end of some act or state, but not of the end of a period of time)
1b) the end
1b1) the last in any succession or series
1c) that by which a thing is finished, its close, issue
1d) the end to which all things relate, the aim, purpose
IN OTHER WORDS: “The one who has endured, is enduring and continues enduring TO THE END, of “the signs of Jesus’ coming, and of the end of the age” he will be saved”.
SAVED: Strong’s concordance #4982 = sozo = safe, save, make whole, heal, be whole.
1) to save, keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction
1a) one (from injury or peril)
1a1) to save a suffering one (from perishing), i.e. one suffering from disease, to make well, heal, restore to health
1b1) to preserve one who is in danger of destruction, to save or rescue
1b) to save in the technical biblical sense
1b1a) to deliver from the penalties of the Messianic judgment
1b1b) to save from the evils which obstruct the reception of the Messianic deliverance
IN OTHER WORDS: “THE ONES who have ENDURED, are enduring and continue enduring TO THE END of “the signs of Jesus’ coming, and of the end of the age”, HE “THIS SAME ONE, THESE SAME ONES, BOTH MEN AND WOMEN, will BE SAVED, from perishing, saved in the biblical sense, delivered from the penalties of the Messianic judgment; saved from the evils which obstruct the reception of the Messianic deliverance”.
In JESUS’ Words: “The one who endures to the end, he will be saved” – PERIOD.
We must GET READY, BE READY and STAY READY and endure to the end.
Whether you believe
- you can lose your salvation, or you believe
- you cannot lose your salvation, or you believe that maybe
- you were never saved in the first place, or you think this is about
- you’re maturing in your faith or
- you just don’t know
One thing you better know is that you must
1. Get Ready – Make Jesus your Lord and Savior.
2. You can only come to God and be saved by His Grace and by your faith, believing that
3. Jesus died for your sins and that
4. God raised Him up from the grave after three days in the tomb,
5. Jesus saves you from your sins and
6. Jesus saves you from perishing (going to eternal torment in hell)
7. Jesus has forgiven you and given you a new life of hope, promise
8. The one who endures to the end, he will be saved” – Jesus, Matthew 24:13
In support of enduring to the end, The Apostle Paul said, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day;and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.” 2 Timothy 4:7 – 8
Jesus said, “No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” Luke 9:62
No man or woman can determine your salvation in Christ. Only God, alone, knows. But, unless you ENDURE TO THE END, you will know you whether you have finished the race and will be welcomed into His Waiting Arms.
Keep on Enduring! Let’s Walk by the Spirit, let’s not grow weary, let’s finish the race, let’s endure to the end.
Your Brother and Friend
PS: Please, let’s “come out of the building” and let’s go, daily, in obedience to Him, on the greatest adventure of our lives. JOIN Him in ministry. Be the Organic Church on the move.